- Evaluate assessment of suicide in forensic settings and/or criminal justice institutions by addressing the following:
- Who would serve on the task force?
- Who would be involved in suicide prevention or identification if you were able to intervene at the institution?
- What would the interventions look like? What would be some of the policies and procedures that you might implement to ensure that best practices are met?
- Provide specific examples based on your current or future forensic role.
- Include an analysis of your own prejudices and biases regarding inmate suicides (e.g., consider a child murderer).
Donaghue, E. (2014, May 6). The Cleveland kidnapping case: A timeline of events. CBS News. Retrieved from http://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-of-events-the-cleveland-kidnapping-case/Noonan, M., Rohloff, H., & Ginder, S. (2015). Mortality in local jails and state prisons, 2000–2013 – statistical tables. Retrieved from http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/mljsp0013st.pdfRivlin, A., Ferris, R., Marzano, L., Fazel, S., & Hawton, K. (2013). A typology of male prisoners making near-lethal suicide attempts. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 34(5), 335–347. doi:10.1027/0227-5910/a000205 Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases.Smith, A. (2013, September 4). Suicide kills more inmates than homicides, overdoses, accidents combined. NBC News. Retrieved from http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/suicides-kill-more-inmates-homicide-overdoses-accidents-combined-f8C11072563University of Nebraska Medical Center. (n.d.). SIG-E-CAPS. Retrieved September 12, 2016, from http://www.unmc.edu/media/intmed/geriatrics/reynolds/pearlcards/depression/sigecaps.htmU.S. Department of Justice. (2015). Mortality in jails and state prisons, 2000–2013 -statistical tables. Retrieved from http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5341Weiner, I. B., & Otto, R. K. (2013). The handbook of forensic psychology (4th ed.). New York, NY: Wiley. Chapter 23, “Practicing Psychology in Correctional Settings” (pp. 759–794)