What is the advantage of having a unified language for nursing within the larger concept of a unified language system for the healthcare community?
Taxonomies, Pharmacy, and Clinical Vendors
1. discuss the importance of clinical taxonomies.
A. Why is a nursing taxonomy important? Do an Internet search to support your discussion along with your experience in the industry.
B. What is the advantage of having a unified language for nursing within the larger concept of a unified language system for the healthcare community?
C. What further research and developments are needed to move the nursing profession toward a unified language system?
D. Some physicians believe there should not be a nursing language and a physician language – only one language. What do you think?
2. Application Software Vendors
A. Conduct an Internet search and find software vendors who offer products in one or more of the categories listed below. Select two vendors from each of three categories and compare their features (e.g., compare two lab vendors, two CPOE vendors, and two e-prescription vendors). What similar functions do they offer? Where do they differ in their offerings? If available for each vendor, provide the name and address of each vendor, the number of years in business, their annual revenue and number of employees, and a profile of other products offered.
Your response should be a table format for easy comparison of vendors and features.
• Laboratory information systems
• Computerized physician order entry (CPOE) systems
• Pharmacy systems
• Radiology information systems
• Emergency department information systems
• Bedside computing
• Home healthcare information systems
• Healthcare information systems (HIS) (defined as a vendor who believes they offer a complete solution for an organization’s information systems’ needs)