The purpose of this assignment is to identify a problem in the clinical area and to utilize evidence-based strategies to improve the quality and safety of patient care.
The purpose of this assignment is to identify a problem in the clinical area and to utilize evidence-based strategies to improve the quality and safety of patient care. For more information about the QSEN, go to
• In 2008, a committee of healthcare experts proposed 6 competencies to ensure that nursing students develop the
knowledge, skills and attitude (KSA) necessary to provide quality and safety patient care.
1. Patient-Centered Care
2. Teamwork and Collaboration
3. Evidence-Based Practice
4. Quality Improvement
A. Identify an event that happened in the clinical area during practicum; discuss how this could have caused or
did cause a negative patient outcome.
B. Develop a scenario to illustrate the problem. Patient’s identifiers are not to be used.
C. Discuss how each of the 6 QSEN competencies were or were not followed and ultimately caused, or could have
caused a negative patient outcome.
D. Discuss the importance of integrating the QSEN competencies into the following areas; clinical practice,
nursing education, and nursing research. Each point must be specifically addressed in a separate section.
Instructions for Formatting and Submitting the Assignment:
• Utilize a minimum of 3 EBP articles from peer reviewed journals no older than 5 years.
• The paper is 5-7 pages not including the cover and the reference pages.
• APA (6th ed.) format is required with no grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors.
• Please utilize the writing center services before submitting the final work.
• Before the final submission to Blackboard, please post the paper to Turnitin.com and review the report.